Research shows that Phonemic Awareness is a strong predictor of long term reading and spelling success. “It can predict literacy performance more accurately than intelligence, vocabulary knowledge and socio economic status” (Gillon, 2004)
Episode #52 takes a close look at Phonemic Awareness, as this skill is a very crucial component that many teachers and commercial programs often overlook.
While we use our eyes to read, the true starting point for reading is speech sounds. Phonemic awareness is 100% auditory, meaning it is only related to the sounds a letter makes, or the sounds letters make together in a word.
Tune in as I unpack the 8 core phonemic awareness skills and load you up with practical strategies and explanations.
FREEBIES below (because I love to spoil you):
Phonemic Awareness Lesson Library
Phoneme ADDITION and DELETION
Unlimited digital download of the following resources
- PASS Drills (Phonemic Awareness Sound Success) 5 Levels
- Sound Articulation Flash Cards
- Reading Readiness Assessment (2 levels)
- Word Work Map
- eCode Sound Chart
- 45 Emoji sound discs
- eCode Challenge Picture/Word Cards (6 levels)
- Word Work Task Cards (instructions for activities)
- Phonemic Awareness Observation Checklist
- eCode small sound cards (these are also available as a physical set for additional $10 in shop)
- Beginner sound spelling placemat
- Read and Draw decodables
for practical strategies that will instantly improve your literacy outcomes.
Please leave us a comment as we want to make sure we are providing YOU with everything you need. We think you’re awesome and have chosen an amazing career guiding our little learners to a path of success!